Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Class IV {Woot Woot}

This morning I saw my mockboard patient again but only had time to finish one more quad on her. I have come to the conclusion, at least in my experiences, true class II patients are harder than any other. I missed spots on her mesials on her premolars and Prof. Alexander showed me how to get them off using a horizontal stroke with the sickle and sitting at 12 0'clock. We also had quite the experience trying to give her an IA. The second I looked in her mouth, I could tell her anatomy was quite different than I was used to, it just felt different. So I attempted the IA 3 times with osseous contact. Prof. Alexander gave it a try and aimed really high, finally got the needle to go in and not hit bone but she got a positive aspiration. So we decided to stop trying and do Oraqix instead. It was a good learning experience, every person is truely different when doing injections! I will be calling her tomorrow to see if she is having any trismus in that area since I poked it so many times!
My afternoon patient ended up being a class IV and I got a full mouth on her. I got one quad done today and she did not even need anesthetic, it was crazy. She has some pretty deep pockets, like some 7's, 8's, 9's so the calculus errors I made today was just not going quite deep enough. So, I will do better next time!

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how much you learn from giving out LA to patients. Seriously, you learn everytime. I'm so amazed at your clinical skills and you are just an amazing person in all aspects! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete